Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Update: Traveling with the DS

For my regular readers you may recall that one of my most pressing concerns about traveling to Australia was managing the bathroom routine en journey. As silly as it sounds it caused me considerable angst. Angst I could have used for something else. It really was a non issue.

From LAX to Sydney - the 14 hour leg of our journey - Ms 9 and I had seats right at the back of the plane. This allowed me to jump into the washrooms quickly and easily when there were no lines. Funnily enough my body jumped right out of it's normal routine. Instead of the concentrated unloading that normally takes place it was more spread out which made it more manageable. I didn't do anything special so I have no idea as to how to replicate it but whatever the reason it made for a very easy trip.

For those of you considering long distance air flights - my advice is simple. Go to the bathroom regularly. Courtesy flush as you go. The suction on those toilets are simply amazing - does wonders. Take a small personal size airfreshner. One spray and all is sweet. The process is manageable. Take it from me - there is no reason to curtail your desire to travel because of any concerns you may have around this.

Bathroom issues aside my greatest challenge was actually getting in enough fluids. I simply did not drink enough and I paid the price on the scale. Over the course of about a month I have put on 5lbs. Not outrageous but enough to make me take a very careful look at what I'm eating and drinking. I've increased my protein, dropped the carbs and am working very hard on increasing the fluids. I have no doubt that this wonderful tool of mine will work it's magic and allow me to drop the weight. It's a nice feeling. I don't get that sense of having screwed up so badly that I can't recover and heck, I may as well just eat more... this would have been what I would have done in days gone by.

I'm in Boston right now (flew in today and home on Tuesday night) so will need to have some flexibility around the food thing... fluids however I can totally control. Sip sip sip. Three words of advice that everyone threw at me immediately post surgery. Those same three words are just as important today as they were then. Sip sip sipping!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home