Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Update: Our trip to Australia

For all the angst around whether to go and whether to take Ms 9 or not, it turned out to be a really good trip.

I got to spend some quality time with both of my parents. Ms 9 has the chance to develop some very special memories of her Oma and Opa. Memories that were not so clearly cemented at the end of our last trip three years ago because Mum was recovering from her initial pancreatic bypass surgery and Dad was still running the business. This time, when not feeling bad, Mum was actually very good which meant that she and Ms 9 could engage in a very different way. It was nice.

Ms 9 also spent a lot of time connecting with her Opa. Opa and Ms 9 both have equal inability to stop before things get out of hand...so things got out of hand often. It was noisy, funny, frustrating, and wonderful all at the same time. If I thought I was going to have the chance of some peace and quiet while I was away I was sorely mistaken.

But it was worth it. Ms 9 was a wonderful distraction for us all. She added some joy into what otherwise could have been a very morbid visit. I know that Mum had a tough day the day before we left. I also know that Dad was struggling because he started to withdraw a little a few days before we headed out... it's just his way of dealing with stuff...

While in Australia we managed to spend time with family and friends and we shopped till we dropped. It's a good thing Mum was willing to give up a suitcase...we came with two, we left with three! Sad thing is that most of that suitcase was full of Ms 9's stuff. Some birthday presents, some clothes from the winter sales (good back to school stuff), some gifts for others, but largely just stuff for her. I'm such a sucker when it comes to say NO. I know that I was over compensating - she was feeling quite homesick for her friends by the end of the second week. Retail therapy seemed to help. Insert eye roll!

We also got in some sight seeing. Ms 9 was lucky enough to see some whales in Victor Harbor. She also got to cuddle a koala, feed the kangeroo's and spend a day wasting money at a fun centre...what more could a kid want?

Bottom line is I am very glad we did it. I would never have been able to forgive myself if I had decided not to go before Mum passed away. I think that would have been a difficult guilt to live with. I am so very thankful that hubby ended up encouraging me to take Ms 9...

We flew in on the 8th, in time to celebrate Ms 9's birthday on the 9th. The timing was perfect. Leaving something sad to celebrate something wonderful.

1 Comments:

  • I'm SO glad you took her with you. Told ya so!!!! ;o)

    What a blessing that trip will be in years to come.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home