Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Together



Today I spent time with my sisters. The last time the three of us were together was three years ago when Mum was first diagnosed with cancer. I had come home for the goodbye trip. At the time we decided it was important to get some last family photos.

Today, after a hectic day filled with silly Opa's and over excited grandc
hildren, I came across a folder containing some of those photos. And while this trip is not about me in any way shape or form, please allow me to say...holy crap! I had forgotten what I looked like. I have changed... a lot!



This second photo shows my youngest sister Tanya, 30 weeks pregnant again (as she was in the photo taken nearly 3 years ago). Margaret, myself and Mum. We had a wonderful day together.

Sadly it didn't end well. Tonight Mum insisted that Dad call palliative care. She was in pain and had been throwing up again. For mum to volunteer this action you know that she is not in a good place. We took her down to the hospital where she was administered extra morphine and put on fluids.


Tonight I saw my dad cry. Cry out of sheer helplessness. Tonight Ms 8 saw her Opa cry. Tonight she came to the true realization that her Oma was going to die. She was magnificent. She cried then she put on a brave face and kissed Oma good night. She was crying not so much for the upcoming death but for the fact that she has seen Oma so few times. She was crying for the lost opportunities.

I am not sure what the coming days are going to hold for my Mum. I worry more about my dad. Mum is in good hands and will soon be whole again. Dad...not so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home