Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Update... Mum's trip to a better place

I had a really good chat with her oncologist tonight.

So the CAT scan shows that the cancer has progressed very rapidly from when the last scan was done 6 weeks ago. There are cancers pressing against both her liver and bowel which is not allowing them to drain properly, hence the vomiting. Her surgeon, who completed the bypass nearly three years ago, doesn't think that he will be able to by-pass the blockages but he is conducting one more test today to better understand what he is dealing with.

Apparently Mum is in much better spirits. Dr Healey has started to administer some pretty powerful pain killers and that has totally changed Mum's outlook. Mum, like the rest of us, is pretty pragmatic about what is to come. The Dr thinks she is amazing. I do too.

The prognosis is weeks to a couple of months. The Dr says she looks well - better than when we were there 3 years ago so that is good. They hope to have Mum home within the next week. She will receive iv fluids at night but that will leave her free to move around during the day.

Hubby and I will talk about whether Ms 8 comes with me tomorrow night. I will likely leave next Tuesday.

So there you have it. We know for sure that she will pass away in a relatively short period of time. I am glad. We knew it was going to come and she's had more than two years with this insidious disease living a relatively normal and healthy life. She's been an anomaly but now that her time has come it will come quickly. I am good with that. No, I am very good with that. Although the world is a better place with Mum here I would rather we bear the pain of her loss than have her bear the physical pain that cancer causes.

Take care Mum... I'll see you next week. What a wonderful thing to be able to say. Which leads me to say that my company has been amazing. In an attempt to protect my family vacation (which I think I will need) I asked whether I could work part-time from Australia. They were totally ok with that. They are being accommodating in every way possible. I am so grateful for that. They say everything happens for a reason. A year ago I was in the throes of unemployment after being caught in the first wave of massive layoffs by the big C. Today I work for a company that lives what it believes. They do not need to accomodate me. They want to. This means the world to me... and my Mum. For that I will always be thankful.

2 Comments:

  • As sad as it is, what a great post to read Ann...you and your family will remain in my prayers...especially you and B...I hope you can come to an agreement about T. I am on your side. Frankie STILL resents the fact that I sheltered him from FIL's funeral.

    He was T's age when my dad died. My Dad was his IDOL. He LIVED for my Dad. Frankie (and Nicholas) weer at the funeral home and at the funeral...I am glad they were. Kids need closure too. Talk to T. Explain everything. She'll get it...she's a smart cookie.

    Good luck with whatever you decide.

    Tons of love and hugs and prayers.

    Dawn xo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:58 PM  

  • Ann,

    Your family is in my prayers. I am so glad they are able to make your mum's final days good ones.

    Love,
    Tiffany

    By Blogger Little Chef On The Prairie, At 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home