Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Performance Appraisals and Broken Bones

What a day.

This morning I delivered one of two performance appraisals that I really was not looking forward to delivering. Not because it was a bad appraisal - it was actually a very solid one. Because I knew she would a. not be happy with the rating and b. be devastated about the compensation message for the year. I was right on both counts. It is so hard to positively position a 'meets expectations' ratings when there is no compensation to go with it that places a monetary value on her contributions.

She did have a good year and we recommended a bonus. It just didn't come to fruition. Add in a 2.1% pay increase and it is nothing short of a slap in the face.

After stewing for a while she informed me that she was withdrawing her application for the designer position that I have available. Her rationale? Why should she put herself out there taking on a stretch when there is no accompanying reward? And you know, she's right. I feel so bad for her. She's feeling undervalued and disenfranchised.

And I have to deliver the same message to her best buddy tomorrow. Only this one will give me heck. Sigh... welcome back to work.

After she shared her decision with me I got a call from the school saying Mr 13 had hurt himself after school and needed to be picked up. He thinks he broke his ankle and can't get off the ice. Okay. Two parents in Toronto (at least an hour away)... now what?

I was luckily able to get hold of a friend to whom I owe a huge debt of gratitude. She took him to the hospital, trailing her three kids all under 5 behind her, while we traveled home. He has a fracture. I'd like to fracture his skull.

If he had been inside the school doing his homework like he was meant to while he waited for his sister to finish choir practice then this would not have happened. I am so angry at this kid right now. By willfully ignoring the right thing to do he has created a huge headache for all involved. How do we get him to and from school while he is crutches? How do we get him up and down the stairs? How does he get into the shower? How does he walk his sister home when he is lying in some field at the far end of the school because he felt the need to be there?

Think child think! It sucks that he's in pain but maybe, just maybe this will be a valuable lesson in natural consequences of ones own stupid behaviours.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home