Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Friday, January 12, 2007

Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to work we go

On Monday I go back to work. I thought I was ready mentally but after talking with my boss yesterday I realized that I really don't miss the political, underhanded crap that takes place. The mortgage dictates that I must go back so go back I will, but I am going back to a very different world.

It seems that lots of changes have taken place while I've been away - some good, some bad. I actually don't mind change, there's always something very energizing about a new challenge. I am not happy though that some of these changes, which could have waited until I returned, happened without my input. They pay me good dollars to have strategic input - essentially my boss has cut me out of the process.

A bit of background - recently, I split my team into two. We promoted one of my directs to manage my team and I took the other. It was the right thing to do - I had way too much on my plate. We each support different areas of the business for their training needs. I took customer care and collections - he took credit and assumed responsibility for all of our audit requirements (gag... I'm so glad that he's good at this). While I was away apparently some big changes happened in collections that he supported on my behalf. The project is only part way through so in her wisdom, my boss has decided that collections will stay with my coworker. Her logic is not all bad, and I'm taking on a new team, but I am so disappointed that I am no longer going to be working with these folks. I invested a lot into building the relationship and more importantly partnership... I would have liked to have seen it further along before handing it off. The upside is that my coworker will do a good job - they are in good hands.

The other thing I'm not looking forward to is dealing with one of my team members. She is a disgruntled worker who through circumstances that were totally beyond her control ended up in a role that she did not sign up for. It sucks for her. This happened years ago. She has chosen to deal with it in a really passive aggressive manner. She does not respect me since I have less training experience than her. She poisons the team environment. She is miserable but doesn't take control of the situation to make it right for her. She has an ideal outcome which we can not give her. Nothing I do, nothing my boss has done can turn this woman around. I don't know where to go next. In my world you either choose to stay and suck it up, take action to make it better or leave. I have never encountered this sort of behaviour before. Anyway, she has applied for one of the three open positions I have on a new design team. She has the base skills but her attitude really concerns me. I don't want to give her this position out of fear that she will see it as a reward for her disfunctional behaviour. My boss is leaning towards having her in the position. It's a lose lose proposition for me.

After yesterdays conversation I truly don't feel that I've been away for 7 weeks. It also reminded me that I am going to have to find new ways to cope with this crap. Since I joined the company 10 years ago I put on close to 170lbs. That's 17lbs a year of stress eating right there! That's no longer an option so I'm hoping I have the fortitude to find a way to deal with my working life. Another journey is about to begin methinks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home