Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Transformations

I am a renovation show junkie. No matter whether it's a show about transforming an existing room, an existing house, buying a new house, selling an old one, or renovating oneself... I love them all. During my medical leave I've had the opportunity to laze my way through the day and watch more of these type of shows than I normally do. Today I finally clued into the attraction... it's all about the opportunity for a transformation.

The opportunity to change something you didn't like, the opportunity to take control, the opportunity for a fresh start. The attraction of these shows is not unlike the attraction towards Weight Loss Surgery. WLS is about a transformation - it's about a transformation from unhealthy to healthy, it's a transformation from self conscious to confident, it's a transformation from having let go of control to taking control of your own destiny... it's a transformation of your mind. Mostly it's a transformation that you needed help with...

I love seeing the transformations in the shows as they take place but most of all I love the reactions of those who are the recipients of the transformation. I shed tears with them and I share their awe. After each show I dream of the transformations that I would like to make in my own home. It's about inspiration.

These days I find that I get the same sort of inspiration reading other WLS blogs - this is about people who have taken the difficult step to make some pretty serious changes in an attempt to transform their lives. I find them aspiring in so many ways - I cheer on their successes, I cry with their frustrations, I find hope in their learnings and I dream. I dream of what my experiences will be like when my journey takes me there.

2 Comments:

  • The weird thing (and I think it's a very good reason for blogging the journey) is in my experience while this transformation is going on, day to day it feels so slow.

    It's good to be able to go back to a month or two months (or in my case a year or two ago) and remind myself where I was and think about where I am now.

    There are a lot of steps. But it's such a great chance to make real and lasting changes. That's what really makes me feel a lot of gratitude.

    You're doing great. Day by day you're making progress.

    As to the scale whoring, I admit to being a daily weigher or was until my scale went on the blink a couple months ago. However, it's just once a day (sometimes best of three) at the same time and then that's it until tomorrow. What I'd focus on was where I was a month or two before. And then the movement would always feel downward, even when I was bouncing or had hit a little stall.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:53 AM  

  • Thanks Ezpy... I appreciate the advice. It does feel slow... so very very slow. But you're right. I just need to look back 2 months and I've come a long way. My fast start had me set up unreal expectations... sigh :)

    By Blogger Aussieabroad, At 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home