Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Going back to work

In less than a week I go back to work and I have to admit - I am really nervous about it. It's a strange sensation since I do miss it but I don't know if I'm ready.

The issue for me is largely a bathroom one. My mornings are nothing short of unpredictable. I never know what time they'll start (any time from 3am till 6.30am) but more importantly what time my system will settle enough to let me function in public.

My concerns, bathroom and otherwise, are simply

1. my boss wants me to start coming into Toronto 3 days a week. This is not a wholly unreasonable request since I have some team issues. I am also bringing on three new team members who will need my support. Going into Toronto means commuting either by car or by train. No matter which way I go I'm traveling for at least an hour. The train has washrooms but I am really uneasy about using them. They are small, they are not that private, the smell could be enough to clear the train (I am mortified thinking about it) and worst of all, it is not always a quick in and out. What if I reach my stop and I can't get up? I could end up at the other end of Toronto or worse still in the train yard. The thought of having to do this makes my stomach turn.

2. I have been away for 7 weeks. I really don't know what I'm walking back into. The dynamic at work is always an interesting one. We report into the US and I find that depending on what influences my bosses boss brings to bear, things change quickly.

3. It's performance appraisal time. In our world a 3 rating means you're doing a very good job thank you. A 2 means you're magnificent and a 1 means we should be cloning you. Two of my team think a 3 is a slap in the face. I will have to deliver that message. On top of that the powers that be have assigned little or no bonues this year... always makes a 3 so much more difficult to accept. One of those two employees has been miserable in her role for years and she doesn't try to hide it. She has made my life a misery - I do not miss the negativity at all.

4. Commuting more regularly means that my kids will have to fend for themselves in the morning. The three of them cannot get along - it was not uncommon for me to get 4 - 5 calls in a single commute. My then 6 year old told me she wanted to run away to get away from the boys. I nearly texted my husband to ask for a divorce so that I wouldn't have to deal with it. It was not a happy time. There has been no improved maturity on the part of the boys so I cannot see how this is going to work without considerable grief. Sigh...

The upside is that I love what I do. I love being in the training world because I believe we have the power to make a difference. I can't wait to get back and grow my team... there are so many opportunities.

1 Comments:

  • I, too, worroed about morning bathroom issues and going back to work.

    The only real advice I can give is to wake up and get moving an hour earlier than you normally do to get things moving through your system ahead of time -- that helped me a bit -- and to make sure you have some good room deoderizers for the work bathrooms.

    Here in the U.S. they sell little aerosol sprays of Ozium at auto supply stores that are quite good, and Maureen on the OH.com board also recommends a product from QVC shopping channel that is said to work very well.

    You'll figute it out ... right now it's the unknown that's mostly so scary!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home