Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, September 08, 2013

The Gift of the Duodenal Switch

Weight loss surgery, like many other transformational decisions in life, is not a decision to be made lightly. Surgery, any surgery, changes your life forever. In my case it changed the basic way that I digest and absorb food. The sheer mechanics of my DS means that I do not absorb fat or protein easily (nor the associated vitamins) and it also means that carbs are more easily absorbed - yes, sugar is still an enemy.

When I reflect back on the last 6 years - I have learned a few things

1. If I want my DS to fail all I need to do is eat simple carbs - and lots of them. If you can survive the gassy impact that will cause your weight will go up.
2. If you do not eat enough of the right foods your blood count will be impacted. This is a slow process - there is often no immediate sign that your body is missing something it needs for health. Quite often the first sign is when you have a serious problem on your hands. My vitamin D (fat soluble) is in the toilet.
3. The DS is a weight loss solution - not a self esteem or head issue solution. This is huge...most of us aren't fat because of the food, we're fat because of the way we use food... its a self chosen action thing and yet many of us do not either know why we are doing or, and I think I fell into this field, know how to not do it. Food became the answer  - to questions that didn't require food.
4. The DS is an amazing tool. The moment, and I mean moment, you start to do the things that you know will help you be healthy (given the parameters of the DS) you will lose weight. In the last four days I have eaten more than I normally would, I feel better than I have in a long time AND I lost 5.5lbs. The weight loss will not continue at this rate but it's heartening to see.

Key to all of this though is the head issues. Stress management, comfort...whatever the need of choice... will ultimately not be found in a food item. What is different for me this time around is I am different. Older for sure. Wiser, I hope but more importantly at peace with myself and my choices. I have given myself permission to put myself first. Many will not understand this, it's common sense right? Well for me it wasn't. My worth was too closely tied to the desire to care for others... I didn't equate self care as part of that process. Isn't it selfish after all to take time away from the family to go to the gym, to cook what you liked, to take some quiet time to re-energise? It's taken me 48 years to get to this point...re-engaging with the gift of my DS is part of that process.

A few days ago I stood on the scale for the first time in a really long time. My weight had gone up from the last time I checked but refreshingly I did not feel the need to go down the path of self blame. It is what it is - my choices suited me at the time. I am in a place to make better choices.

I am excited for the journey. I have a new vision... fabulous at 50. This refers to every area of my life... my health is simply my starting point.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home