Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Monday, September 02, 2013

Out of the silence...

It's hard to believe that it's been over 4 years since I've blogged last. The answer to "why?" is easy and complex at the same time. The easy answer is "life took over" and a valid answer at that...isn't that what we all want? As an overweight person my greatest wish was to de-emphasise the weight issue, to be normal...where food is for sustenance and weight is not the primary reason for choosing or eating it.

The more complex answer is that old habits die hard... with a side of self awareness thrown in that has helped me to understand that self worth, success, weight and life are intricately linked. My choices in life have been very much about not valuing myself the same way in which I value others.

So why come back now? As part of my ongoing educational journey I recently completed my Graduate Certificate in Executive Coaching. I entered the course for very functional reasons and instead found my passion, and in doing so started to understand myself.

The bottom line for me is - if I am to be an effective Executive Coach  I need to be able to walk the same journey I am asking my clients to walk for themselves. In making that commitment I have come full circle and back to this blog.

I am also struggling with my health. None of it DS related (spinal stenosis and degenerative disc disease) but the last 6 months have been a real wake up call for me. Through my pain haze I've come to realize that unless I take ownership of me, my health and my own well being then I am on a path that will take me to a very sad and very painful future. I do not want that for myself and for those I love.

Reinvigorating my commitment to my DS and to being a healthier weight is part of my "solution"... and only part. This journey is not just about weight, it's about well being. That encompasses my body, by mind and my relationships. It's probably the most complex project I have taken on but it is all part of my "fantastic and fifty" plan. I have 18 months before I reach the milestone of being half a century old... that 18 months is a gift I am determined not to squander.

As I would ask my coaching clients... "what does great look like for you"... "what do you see in 18 months?"...

In 18 months I will be eating to fuel my body  and not  my emotions. I will be in healthy productive relationships with those that mean most to me. I will weigh less - at least 60lbs less - and I will laugh often. I will be coaching more than I am leading. I will do things that make me happy. I will dance in the rain. I will stop to smell the roses and I will love where I live. I will live true to my passions.

That is my vision for me.

This blog will become a record of that journey - it will be about weight, it will be about mind, it will be about growth...and most of all it will be about living a fantastic life.

Step 1: Assess the current state - only then will I be able to work out exactly what I need to do.
- get blood work done
- weigh myself
- redo my foundational document (assessment process created by Coaching Out of The Box...well worth the effort)
Step 2: Develop a plan
Step 3: Live it
Step 4: Celebrate it.

Simple right?

I am excited, scared and ready, all rolled into one. It's time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home