Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

All Things Work... The Update

It's hard to believe that I have been at my current company for nearly 18 months... this week it would have been my 2 year anniversary of being downsized out of the big C. Looking back, I can still say that it was one of the best things that ever happened to me.

I love where I am. I have a deep and abiding belief in what we are trying to achieve as a company. I see myself as part of the solution which is both exciting and scary.

But it hasn't been all roses. Like many companies, we have been deeply impacted by the economic woes of the world. A month ago I had to tell 12 of my team that they no longer had jobs. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do in my professional career but it is a decision that I support. The company made a difficult decision in the interest of survival and that has my respect. We did what we had to do with the dignity of those impacted in mind. I don't know what was hardest - telling people that they could go home or seeing the sympathy in their eyes.

As you can imagine the 6 weeks of planning that went into this event created a new layer of stress that I was not well prepared for. I didn't realize the toll it took until it was done. It took me nearly a full month to be able to say that I feel like myself again.

Now I see a time of hope and growth. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home