Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

It was a sad day

I have been in mourning. I lost something last week that was very meaningful to me. Something that was able to bring me both pleasure and comfort. I lost my taste for Chicken Korma.

Now before you roll your eyes (again) let me explain. My all time favourite food is Chicken Korma. I love the smooth richness of the crushed cashews, cream and Korma seasonings. It was a comfort food but more than that it was just a wonderful eating experience. I could, and have, eat it every second day. I personally helped fund the recent renovations at my favourite Indian restaurant. No I’m not exaggerating… I ate there that often.

It was my first meal out after surgery. I was craving it and at that point I was thrilled to discover that I loved it still. After a couple of weeks of bland eating it really was a delight to be able to enjoy something so flavourful. The bonus was that the dish lasted me for five meals instead of one… oh joy.

Last week hubby,Ms 7 year old and I went out to lunch. Even before I ordered I had a sense of not really wanting it. When I tasted it I didn’t enjoy it at all. Even though I took the leftovers home they eventually found their way into the garbage bin. A sad moment indeed.

It’s funny, this past week seems to have been the week of changing taste buds. Things that tasted good the week before no longer do. I am starting to have cravings and I am very picky about what I give in to since my capacity to eat has been greatly reduced. A number of times I’ve made a decision about what I want only to discover that it really didn’t taste very good to me.

This is a huge adjustment for me. What is happening is that I am no longer getting the same sense of pleasure out of food that I used to. It’s not a volume thing, it’s all about taste. So if I can’t get pleasure out of food, where am I going to get pleasure from? Right now it’s certainly not from the bulk of the kids, even the little one is driving me batty (another soul searching post coming up on this one no doubt). It’s not from work, although I don’t dislike it. I think I need to find a hobby…I need to find something that I can saviour and find real pleasure in. Any ideas would be most welcome :)

1 Comments:

  • I think you're still at the stage when eating/food is a friggin' chore. I know I was completely disinterested in most things and looked at eating as a means to an nutritional end. Something clicked in month three and I started to enjoy things again even stuff that repulsed me weeks before.

    Don't be surprised if your taste for your favorite dish comes back!

    By Blogger Tia L., At 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home