Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Thursday, December 28, 2006

And they cried Wii, Wii, Wii all the way home

Yes, we've been bitten by the insanity bug. My three men are camping out tonight in sub zero (celcius) temperatures in order to be able to buy the elusive Wii.

I have never been a big supporter of gaming - we have two systems in our home and I have played maybe 6 times in total over a 10 year period. Then along comes the Wii. We are currently a household in crisis - divided by teenage hormones and younger sibling rivalry. The Wii - with it's intuitive controls and action based play finally offers a gaming experience that will allow all family members to compete on fairly even territory. The 7 year old will be able to box the crap out of the older boys - all she has to do is point her fists at the tv and imagine herself thumping the living daylights out of her brothers. I think this will be good for her. The same goes for them as well.

I particularly like that it contains an element of physical play. In Canada physical activity is so much harder to encourage in the winter time. You want to hibernate... maybe the Wii will encourage all of us to get off our comfy sofa's.

I believe in the old adage - a family that plays together stays together. We need to find a way to enjoy each other more. While the Wii is not the answer, I'm hoping it'll be a tool to move us towards where we need to be. A common language if you will.

So tonight the lads are sitting outside Best Buy wrapped in sleeping bags, with enough snacks to feed the entire line, in the pursuit of the Wii which we have simply not been able to find before tonight. The 15 year old snarked for a good two hours since he is currently banned from playing any video games but he came around and was finally able to see the adventure in it all. The 13 year old thinks it's the coolest thing ever (but he's not too bright) and dad, well dad has plans to snooze in the car.LOL. Love to see him pull that one off, especially with pesky Mr 13 around.

As for me, I'll be snuggled up under the feather duvet that I received from my Mum when I graduated my undergrad degree. Next to me will be Ms. Furnace 7 year old... and somewhere close will be the snuggly puppy. Sometimes you have to say, it's good to be me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home