Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, December 24, 2006

I Learned Something New

Leading up to my DS surgery I spent a lot of time hanging out at ObesityHelp.com researching and trying to generally learn as much about the surgery I was about to undergo as possible. I'm the sort of person that likes to know what could possibly happen.

During this research phase I read a lot about some of the side effects but I learned yesterday that what you read really doesn't sink in until you experience it. Yesterday I experienced three new sensations, none of which I would like to repeat too often:

1. foaming: what the heck is that was my original thought. Well, for those that are wondering, it's essentially when your saliva foams and feels a little slimy/ a little thick. It's almost as if someone has taken an egg beater to it to fluff it up. It's amazing how much saliva one can produce in such a short period of time

2. throwing up: the dr warned me that if I eat too much or too fast I could throw up. I had read about it too. Well, yesterday after having thoughtlessly eaten at my normal speed and then washed it down with a huge swig of water I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. The feeling is hard to describe... it's like you have a giant expanding air bubble in your esophagus that you can't burp up. It hurts. The result is the need to hurl - which I did with surprising ease. I felt better immediately.

3. Carb induced gas: All thing "bowels" are a huge topic of conversation in the DS world. Ours have been completely rearranged after all, and with that comes new challenges. Since surgery I have been suffering from chronic diarrhea. To slow things down I decided to add some fibre to my diet in the form of stonewheat crackers. I was careful to choose low sugar ones. They tasted great. But, and you knew there had to be a but... they gave me wicked gas. I had read about this happening but until you experience the bowel twisting, eye watering result you really don't get it. Oh my goodness - I couldn't stand to be around myself. I was warning my family to save themselves and leave the room, that's how bad it was. Mental note to self - diarrhea is severely under rated. Lay off the crackers!

My weight has been the same for the last 4 or 5 days - I think my body is taking a breather after its initial phenomenal loss. I need to focus on getting my water and protein in... I'm sure that'll allow it to move on it's merry way down again.

What an interesting journey this DS has been so far - I'm hoping for a smoother ride today. Just in case though, I think I'll buy shares in Johnson & Johnson. Their Ultra product is proving to be a life saver around here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home