Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Weight Frustration

For the last month or so I have been gaining and losing the same 2lbs. I have wavered between 220lbs and 218lbs. With little movement above or below.

I am frustrated. I was hoping to see a little more progress in the last months leading to my one year surgerversary. Man, right now I'd be happy to see any progress.

So what's happening? It could be a number of things

1. I am not getting in enough protein. My last labs indicated my protein levels were low. Since then I have made the effort of adding a protein shake a day. I also eat a protein bar a day since my working life is such that lunch is at times a luxury. Between the shake and bar I get 55gms of protein. Throw in a cup of nuts and I'm up to around 80 - 85gms. I'm guessing here but I would estimate that the rest of my day I'm probably only eating another 40gms of protein. That's not bad but given that I malabsorb 50% of the protein, and given that I am starting on the low side, it's simply not enough.

2. Carbs are my worst nightmare. The carb monster has me firmly in its grip and I'm not talking good carbs. I'm talking wagon wheels, chips, chocolate, icecream. Not a lot (well, not usually) but regularly enough that it's probably messing me up.

3. Not enough water. I know this is true. I am struggling getting in enough fluids although I do try. I need to find a way to drink and not pee! I already have some days where I am booked for back to back meetings for 6 hours straight. I have not yet figured out how to eat and drink and not have to visit the bathroom. Once I get my blackberry I guess I can just set up shop in the bathroom... that would solve a few problems. May be the end of my career though... it's hard to hide the sound of flushing... yours and others.

4. No exercise. Yes I take the stairs and yes I walk at a decent pace wherever I go but I do not do any other form of exercise. The $1200 treadmill has become yet another $1200 coat hanger. This is another thing I need to address. The low protein puts me at risk of my body going after my muscles for protein. I need to build them.

Whatever the reason, and I have four pretty good reasons why things may not be moving the way I want them to, I am still frustrated. I know what I have to do but I guess the frustration is more with the fact that the party is over. The weight loss has been relatively easy until now. Now I need to work the tool I've been given. I have yet to work out how to do that effectively. Tuesday is my 11 month weigh in. I hope that I can find the strength to make my 12th month a kick ass one. I would like to end my first year on a bang.

1 Comments:

  • I think fixing #1 and #2 will go a long way to helping you get back on track. With the protein, it could be as simple as adding a 40+gram protein shake at the end of the day that could provide you a protein boost.

    With carbs, yes, they are EVIL, but so delicious. I have found that if I overcompensate with protein, then the carb damage isn't so bad. I am definitely eating more carbs now than when I first started, but I am also eating a ton more protein and maybe it's junk science, but I feel like maybe some of the protein cancels out the additional carbs almost like my body is too busy trying to digest the protein, it can't digest all the carbs. I don't know, I could be crazy...

    I know it's hard with the rest of your family not having to eat like you do, but I do believe there is strategy you can employ to mitigate some of the damage and I know you'll figure out something that works for you.

    By Blogger Tia L., At 11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home