Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Friday, October 12, 2007

OMG 2

Yesterday morning apparently was nothing compared to what I was going to experience in the afternoon. No this is not another poop post (I can hear the collective sigh of relief) but it is DS related. Kind of.

Since my surgery I have been experiencing irregular and inconsistent menstrual cycles even though I am on the pill. I have breakthrough bleeding and the only sign that this may be about to happen is my eating patterns. Refer to my post of a couple of days ago. Oh, that was all related?

Anyway, my concern was whether the pill was an effective method of birth control for me. Am I absorbing enough of it to keep me pregnancy free? My doctors concern was related to the anemia. So together we decided that an IUD would be an effective tool for me.

Yesterday was the big day. The day of insertion. The day I discovered that I really don't like the gynecologist much. I had no idea that it was going to hurt as much as it did. Maybe I am being significantly wimpy here but since I am one that does not suffer the joys of menstrual cramping I am not good at dealing with pain in that general area. During the process and for about 3 hours afterwards I felt as if someone had kicked me full force in the lower abdomen. The constant ache was distracting at best, socially dangerous at its worse ... I was ready to bite off a policeman's head should they have stopped me for speeding (which I was). My sole goal when I got in the car was to get home as soon as possible so I could take some ibuprofen. See...wimp!

Today is a better day. Hopefully this will help out on the anemia front and if I get lucky I'll see my periods disappear completely. I am so ok with that! This thing lasts for 5 years so if all plays out I'll be in menopause at that point and not have to worry about another insertion. I am also very ok with that...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home