Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Childhood Obesity

This is a sensitive subject for me but it's one I need to explore.

Ms 8 is obese. I have contributed to that by the choices I've made for her in the past. She is one of the fussiest eaters in the world and as a working Mom I chose not to address the issues when she was little. In part because I didn't have the energy and in part because I misguidedly did not want her to have long term food issues.

She has food issues. It is stopping her from doing things. She has wanted to join cubs for the longest time. I resisted because quite frankly it's time consuming. On top of all the other activities we have the kids in I did not want to become too closely immersed into the world of scouting. I do however believe the scouting organization is a good one and I think she would gain a lot. She would love the badge earning - it is so up her driven, achievement oriented alley. So I relented. We went to sign her up today and Dad, in all his wisdom, brings up the fact that at camps she will have to eat what's being given to her. Tonight at bedtime, she says she's not sure that she wants to join.

I am so freakin' frustrated. She would prefer to let something that she really wants fall by the wayside in order not to deal with food she doesn't like. I could scream!

I purchased a book on this ages ago but have yet to crack the binding... that changes tomorrow after my interview. I need to come up with a strategy to help her. She is heading so fast into the misery that was my own life that all the red lights are flashing. I need to find a way to help her without projecting my own past onto her. I need to find a way to make her comfortable to take the risks she needs to take to get the most out of life.

She is such a bright wonderful little girl. I don't want her eating choices to define her.

1 Comments:

  • My soon to be 8 year old is in the same boat. It breaks my heart. It takes me hours to find clothes for her.

    I'm at a loss. You aren't alone.

    By Blogger Sharon, At 2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home