Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Sometimes you just want to bitch slap them up the side of the head

I've mentioned it in passing before but with the antics of the last few weeks I think it rates a mention here. Obesity and/or surgery boards are a critical piece of the research and support puzzles.

They provide a place to ask the questions that will help you decide which path you want to take. They allow you to share your hopes and fears... and fear is a really big part of this for many people because you are making a choice to place your life in someone else's hands for those hours that you on the operating table. They act as a reality check once you start losing weight. Is this normal? Am I doing ok? I'm scared I'm failing. All these things are normal questions/ thoughts associated with post op life. Surgery boards give us access to a level of experience that is difficult to find elsewhere.

What irks me no end is when these boards, support or otherwise, turning into the personal pissing arenas for people that frequent those boards. I know that when you get a group of people together there is bound to be some friction. I know that some people like to make a sport of shooting down others. I know that some are overly sensitive. This is all "human" stuff and should come as no surprise if you deal with people at all on a semi regular basis. What I don't agree with is the mudslinging that takes place. The level of bullshit that's been evident on one of the very prominent boards that I frequent is just mind boggling. It's bad enough that these very experienced folks who have so much to share, and in most cases who do give freely of themselves, choose to fight among themselves. What is really worrisome is that new folks who are at the beginning of their journey and who have no idea what the heck is going on are going to form judgements about the usefulness of the board that may lead them away from some amazing experience and expertise.

Stop the Madness! Think back to what it was like when you were first starting out. Think back to the people who helped you along the way. Don't take that away from others. Don't turn the boards into personal battle zones. Battles will always needs to be fought and won... just do it out of the sight of those that these boards are designed to help.

I'll get off my soapbox. Please note this post is not aimed at any one person or group. It is simply stating what many of us are thinking... stop the idiocy and let's move on.

2 Comments:

  • Hello,

    From a long time reader. I wanted to congratulate you on your fantastic success. You are such an inspiration for me. I am hoping to get the DS in the Spring.

    Yes, I have seen all the unrest on the boards as well. And really find it hard to understand. Mainly because we all have/had a weight problem and have had to deal with such nonsense from people for so long. It just boggles my mind that those who have been treated poorly due to weight prejudice can treat others so poorly after their journey's.
    Really quite hurtful.

    But I do a good Bitch Slap would shake them all up. hahaha

    Good luck to you. And thank you for your honest entries.

    ~Ellen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 4:32 PM  

  • Thank you so much Ellen.

    Good luck with your quest for the DS...it is simply the best thing I have done for myself.

    Don't let the stupidity at the boards put you off though - there is still a lot of good info around. I learned so much both preop and immediately post op. These days it's more selective - I gain more from blogs of DSers. I hang around though because I do feel a debt to folks like you. I could not have done this without the support and knowledge I found there.

    Take care

    Ann

    By Blogger Aussieabroad, At 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home