Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, September 30, 2007

Back to basics

Today at the weight loss support meeting after hearing a story about a WLS patient who went out of their way to eat fries, we were asked... "did you have surgery to eat french fries?".

No one really answered but on the inside I was screaming "YES". I DID have weight loss surgery so that I could eat fries. And cake. And ice cream. And steak. And vegetables. And... . I had weight loss surgery so that I could eat like a normal person. I eat a lot of the "good" stuff and a little of anything else I want (well, usually a little).

This is exactly one of the main reasons I chose the Duodenal Switch over the many other weight loss surgery options available. I love to eat my protein and don't begrudge at all that it makes up 80% of my meal plans. I do however thoroughly enjoy the other 20%. If I want something I have it. I am not prepared to live my life denying myself anything. This mindset is very different from the mindset that I had when I was on a diet. I continually failed. Since changing my mindset however I don't feel deprived. Even when I don't eat anything other than protein and complex carbs. Why? Because I know that there are no absolute off bound foods. I don't feel the need to "test" my limits... too often.

Today the question about the fries really irked me. I think it was said with good intent but it hit too close to home in terms of the guilt and deprivation that went hand in hand with diet after diet after diet. I chose, I choose, not to live like that anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home