Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Life is nothing if not interesting

Ok. I'm developing a reputation. When I book meetings at short notice people are checking the invitee list. No I didn't fire anyone. I was working on it but she quit. Last night after a rather harrowing day she handed in her resignation.

As much as I feel for her personally, because this is simply an ugly time for her, I am glad she made the decision. It allows her to leave with some dignity. It allows me to move quickly into damage control. And quite frankly, it has just saved me a bucket load of work.

So today was the day of communication. Letting her peer group know. Letting the team know. Letting the powers that be know. It was a sad day because not one person shared their regrets. Not one person wished her well. It was very telling. It was bitter sweet.

Now it's time to move onto plan B. I have someone in mind for the role. It'll be a stretch but he is so the right person for the job. He's a natural coach. He buys into the concept of positively impacting performance. He gets it. I hope he wants it. It's such an exciting time for this team - we are getting ready to redefine the role they play in the business. It's all good. I am hoping that this will be a fresh start for many of them. They need it. I need them to put the crap behind them and move on. One door closes and a window opens right?

The next two weeks will be interesting as we set in place contingency plans. Her last day is Friday the 11th.

1 Comments:

  • I hope things work out for the person you want.

    In the public education sector it is SO HARD to fire people. Thus, we keep letting the same old people doing half-assed jobs continue on. In my district (of 100,000 students, and a little over 5,000 teachers) it takes NINE MONTHS of documentation/coaching, etc to fire a teacher. Most of the time, principals play "pass the trash" to get people out of their buildings. It is frustrating to me since I coach these teachers, etc. (Sorry to vent.)

    I hope this helps your team.

    :)
    Tiffany

    By Blogger Little Chef On The Prairie, At 11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home