Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

I miss sleeping in

As a mom, one of the most rewarding things that happens over time is that your child finally sleeps through the night. Then at some point in time they sleep in a little on the weekends. And then the holy grail - they get up, go downstairs and turn the tv on for themselves...and let you sleep. You know that Nirvana is just around the corner.

Along the way there are blips. Nightmares. A new puppy but generally all is good. And then along came the DS. Yes the Duodenal Switch is a blip. It is one that won't go away.

Let me explain. When my body starts to stir, and at times I can have that delay until a little later in the morning, it really starts to stir. There is none of this gentle waking up stuff. No laying around in the bed until your bladder tells you it's about to burst. It is all about, get up now or regret. The "now or else" threat is palatable. You do not take the risk. You get up. It's a race to the bathroom.

So on this long weekend I am up at 5 something. The numbers that follow don't matter. The bad news is that the first number is a 5. And it's followed by an "am". Ms 8 came into our room for some reason and once I'm awake, that's it, I'm done. I need to get up. Have to get up. The question is never about needing to go. It's about how many times I will go before I can finally ease my body onto the sofa for a little more shut eye. Sometimes, like today, there is time to do that. Usually there is not.

I miss that sense of lallygagging in bed. I miss sleeping in.

2 Comments:

  • This post really spoke to me. I understand about the blip that doesn't go away. I have had the DS, and while I don't get diarrhea as a rule, when my body says it's time to get going, it's time. Also, the getting up at 5 something (and not being able to get back to sleep) is all too familiar. Worse, I have to go to work. Yesterday, I started in the bathroom at 5:30 and was in and out of there until 9 a.m. I can't believe it sometimes. Of course, I didn't get to work until 9:45 (I did take a shower and eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast in there, but that's only about 30 minutes of time.)
    The DS has been harder than I imagined. My whole life is centered around my digestive system. Worth it? Oh yes, but it is very hard.

    By Blogger Terry Smith, At 5:48 PM  

  • I SOOOO can relate to this!!!
    About two months ago, I was on this weird schedule of like 2:30 in the morning. CRAZY!

    By Blogger Little Chef On The Prairie, At 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home