Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Drink Up!

I've had a couple of my DS buddies ask about fluids... what am I drinking? I figure that a post about worked for me may help other post op DSers as they seek to get in enough liquids.

Let me start by saying that it's hard to get in 64 oz's in the first month. I was thrilled to bits if I reached 32 ozs. This doesn't mean you shouldn't aim for more but don't let it get you down if you don't quite make it. Just keep trying. And don't forget that popsicles etc count.

Immediately post op I could not handle the taste of water. Tap water. Bottled water. Ice cold water. It all tasted like crap. Despite my surgeons lecture about artificial sweeteners (he does not approve of them) Crystal Light became my best friend. I would dilute it to half it's recommended strength to take the edge off the sweetness but I drank it all the time. I swear my insides were permanently red from my favourite, Raspberry Ice, flavour. Since about 6 months out I had a better tolerance for sweet so now I make 2 litres out of one pack instead of the recommended 1.5 litres.

I progressed onto ice teas. Anything diet works for me. My favourite is Lipton green tea with citrus (diet of course). Green tea, unsweetened has been a staple since surgery. It tastes great, is warming and good for you. Can't go wrong with that. Other swear by mint tea, especially to break a stall.

I drink about a cup of milk in my protein shake and now that I have started the Starbucks Sugar Free Caramel Macchiato Breve phase of my life, I get another cup or two of ice and half/half milk.

I usually manage 64 oz's - I shoot for 96. I rarely reach that. Ok never would be closer.

When I go out to dinner I drink plain water. Slowly I'm finding it more palatable but only in small doses. I'll build up and cut out some of the ice teas but I'm not ready to do that yet.

So that's about it. The key in the beginning, I believe in my non expert opinion, is to find whatever works for you. The main part is get in the fluids. Sugar free of course since we absorb simple sugars without any issues. If you've gone off sweet stuff, dilute. If you've gone off hot, try cold. If cold doesn't work try room temperature. It is experimental. Stick with it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home