Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Eating to Fuel the Body

Eating has always been a pleasure for me. Even today I luxuriate in certain tastes. A rich creamy brie, a sweet golden plum, slightly salty peanut butter. Eating and tastes carry lots of pleasant associations. Relaxing with friends, sitting by the ocean watching the waves come in, observing the people around me, wondering about their lives.

Eating has rarely been about ensuring that my body had the nutrition that it needed to function. I mean, come on, you don't become a 350lb heavy weight by thinking about what's going into your body. Except for when you're fixating on the latest diet of course...but I digress. The point that I am trying to lead up to in my long winded way is that I struggle with the notion of eating to fuel my body.

This realization has become blatantly apparent this week when I simply have not wanted to eat. I am not really hungry. Nothing, no one taste sensation, appeals. In some cases I simply could not be bothered. And so I haven't eaten as regularly as I normally do. I haven't come close to eating enough protein. I haven't taken in enough fluids. I'm sure this has something to do with my weight fluctuating upwards. But it's so hard to get past the old dieting mentality of 'eating less is more'. It wasn't a conscious thing until I heard myself say "crap, with the little food I've been eating you'd think I'd be dropping the pounds". This being said of course as I stood staring at the 234 something lb weight on the scale.

Trust me, I am not purposely not eating in the hope of pushing the scale down. It's not my style. Never has been. I simply have not wanted to eat a lot and I guess that there was a latent expectation that the side benefit would be a drop in weight. The reality is I'm starving my body and my body is doing what bodies do best in these situations, it is hanging on for dear life to ensure that my vital organs can continue to function in a time of dire need. Talk about an aha moment.

I need to learn to eat on a regular basis no matter whether I feel like it or not. I know how to eat when I'm hungry, I need to learn how to eat when I am not. I need to ensure that my body has the nutrients it needs to function - not to do so would mean failing my DS, not to mention the myriad of health problems that will ensue should I continue along this path.

Protein water protein water... needs to be my mantra for a while until it becomes habit.

1 Comments:

  • I can completely relate to this post. I have deliberately made myself a "clock" eater now. I eat at certain times of the day, whether I "feel" like it or not (usually it is NOT). This has helped me to make sure I am getting in enough protein. Some days the water can still be tough too. I love reading your blog.

    By Blogger Little Chef On The Prairie, At 7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home