Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Job Hunting

As I was searching the online ads I came across an ad for the position that I'm waiting to hear about. Dated July 20th. Guess I didn't get that job... nice way to find out huh? At this level I would expect the courtesy of a call at least from the recruiter. There is serious dollars involved... it's worth her effort to keep me as a client.

I am disappointed but not overly surprised. The ideal candidate needs to have two skill sets that you would rarely see together so I have no issues with the company casting their net a bit wider. It only makes sense for them. They need to feel comfortable that they are investing in the right person.

Yesterday I spent hours researching - just to see what is out there. At my level there is not much. I expected that. I'm going to have to do this through the much more laborious steps of networking. It's one of those things that I don't do well. I think its the Aussie in me - I have a healthy skepticism towards politicking... I have a real issue with the "what's in it for me" type of business relationship. I'm pretty naive and gullible that way.

There were a few positions with a local college that piqued my interest. Academia has always held a certain allure but I was never sure as to how best sell myself to make the transition from corporate to education. There is an assistant Dean position for the business school that looks really interesting. My qualifications? Bachelor of Business (majors in marketing and finance). MBA. Experience in both mining and finance industries. International experience. Managed diverse teams. But... no academic experience beyond being a student. So for all my university/college employed readers out there... any ideas? What should I focus on? Any contacts that would be able to guide me in my quest?

Anyway, time to get moving on todays work. I need to make this happen. Time has crept. Hubby is getting nervous. I am bored at home.

Update: I spoke with the recruiter and she confirmed that they are not moving forward with me as a candidate. I feel strangely sad.

1 Comments:

  • Bummer...sorry you didn't get the position and booooo to them for not letting you know.

    I feel you on the networking thing. I don't much like it either, but I have found that when I put my "game' face on and approach networking situations with a clear goal in mind, then it makes it much easier.

    Anyway, I know you'll find something that you will absolutely love!

    By Blogger Tia L., At 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home