Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Saturday, July 21, 2007

If I close my eyes will I hear the ocean

Growing up in Australia is an experience I will be forever grateful for. My parents had the courage to leave their homeland, young family in tow, in the hopes of a better life for all.

As far back as I can remember 'the beach' was an important part of our lives. Even though we lived in the western suburbs of Sydney on a hot summers day we would make the hour long trek to the beach. Deewhy beach was one of most frequent haunts but there were many. I clearly remember one very hot heat wave year where we spent ever second day by the ocean. It was the lifestyle that kids dreams are made of.

Those early days definitely had an impact. As I grew up the beach remained an important part of my "getting away" strategy. It has always signified peace, relaxation, calm. When I moved to Perth, Western Australia, upon graduating from the University of Adelaide I lived about a 10 minute walk away from one of it's most popular beaches. White sands. Great waves. Lots of pubs. You can see the attraction. But when I really needed to get away I would hop into my car and drive about 100km north to a little beach that I discovered. I can't even recall the name of the beach right now but many a time I would be the only one there for hours on end. It was a place that was known for it's windsurfing. Surfers would come from all over the world to surf in the guaranteed winds and waves.

If I close my eyes I can feel the warm of the sun on skin and hear the regular thump of the waves crashing into the sand. I can taste the salt on my lips. I can feel the tension slowly leave my shoulders. I am transported back to a carefree moment in time.

I miss the ocean. I love living in Ontario but I miss the ocean. Maybe I just miss the ability to find a place that can totally erase the worries, even if only for a short period of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home