Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Open Letter to OHIP

To the out of country coverage assessment team,

Our health care system is often much maligned. As Canadians we have enormous expectations of a process that we proudly call our own, even as we are superbly critical of it. Daily in the news we hear about the failures of the system - we are a society that dwells on our failures. I wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for one of the systems successes. To thank you for making me one of the success stories.

In September 2006 you approved me for weight loss surgery, more specifically the Duodenal Switch. With a BMI of 50.1 and co morbidities that included sleep apnea, history of familial cancer and degenerative disk disease, as well as suffering from Multiple Sclerosis, I was guaranteed to be a drain on the health care system for many years to come.

My surgery was nearly five months ago and the change in my life has been nothing short of miraculous. I have lost 92lbs. I no longer have sleep apnea. My blood pressure is that of a teenagers. My MS attacks still occur but the latest one, where I lost all sensation in one leg, was manageable because I was more mobile. I was light enough for it not to be a major issue. I have energy. I feel better and so much more confident.

While confidence is not a medical necessity it is a life one, one that has become much more valuable for me since I was recently downsized after 10 years of working with my company. I can not imagine trying to get a job at 350lbs. Obesity is the last acceptable form of discrimination. Your approval means I am now much more likely to get another job without facing this form of discrimination. My skills will be more visible than my weight.

Your approval has given me back to my family. It has positively impacted my health. It has given me back my life.

There is no way that I can ever thank you enough for approving my request for this surgery. I will be forever in your debt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home