Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Goodbye

As of next Friday I am officially unemployed. I don't know how I feel about that yet. I need to think this thing through. I wanted to see what it looked like on paper... this is all very new to me. At age 42 I've never been fired or faced job discontinuance.

The package is an ok one. I will be contacting a lawyer to try and get a better deal because of my MS issues. I can't get life or medical insurance because of having a pre-existing condition. I want my company to take that into consideration.

I'm tired. Today was nothing short of hellish. You could cut the air with a knife it was so filled with tension. For now I'm ok...who knows what tomorrow will bring once this starts to sink in.

3 Comments:

  • CRAP! I'm sorry ... same thing happened to me for the first time, also at 42.

    Actively holding good thoughts for you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:48 PM  

  • How long did it take you to find something new Alison? I'm having a hard time getting my head around this one... it's just so surreal.

    By Blogger Aussieabroad, At 2:30 PM  

  • I was living with my soon-to-be husband at the time, and we agreed together that I would take the 6 months of unemployment I had coming to work on my dissertation and finish my Ph.D. because I might never have the bandwidth again to do that.

    6 months came around, I wasn't done with my dissertation, but a part-time university teaching job came available, so I took it -- I needed the income. Ultimately that then led to three years of part-to-full time university teaching (by choice), a finished Ph.D., and my official reentry into academic life in the form of a tenure-track job which I started this year.

    Just get through the next couple of weeks. Talk to your husband about a plan. Network. It'll happen. It sure is an unsettling experience, though - xoxo to you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home