Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Why is this so hard?

On the 23rd of October I made a commitment to lose 10 -15 lbs by surgery. I started off great - the weight just fell off the first week and then it stopped. I have followed all the rules, I have denied myself anything with sugar or artificial sweetener. I have eaten protein first, I have consumed water till I felt like it was going to pour out of my ears should I bend over, I have done everything. My weight is still the same as it was 2.5weeks ago.

The frustration is borne out of fear. What if I simply can't lose weight. What if I go through this massive surgery only to find that it didn't work for me? Part of me knows that this is irrational but part of me looks at the scale and thinks... what if...

Why is it so hard for me to lose weight? Why do I have to deny myself all the things I like just to remain stable? Instant gratification is a part of the weight loss game that is so important to those of us that have so much weight to lose. We need the feedback that what we're doing is working, we need to see progress to justify doing it just one more day, one more week, one more month, one more year. This is how it works for me. I need to see progress. I need encouragement and the scale is the only encouragement I readily have access to.

3 Comments:

  • Just a question, but did you have to lose 10-15 lbs before your surgery? Is your Dr. requiring it? If not, I don't think I'd worry about it. Why stress yourself out? It's stressful enough prepping for this surgery and immediate post-op life, I wouldn't torture myself if I didn't have to.

    Spend the time in a much more happy and content place. No more dieting for you.

    By Blogger Tia L., At 5:26 PM  

  • Hi Tia,

    The Dr, did ask for it. Helps shrink the liver and gives him easier access...even though he is doing it open.

    I don't know... no matter which way you look at it, it shouldn't be this hard.

    I am going to indulge just a little in the last week... the real issue for me is not the dieting, it's eating for the wrong reasons.

    You on the other hand are doing awesome!

    By Blogger Aussieabroad, At 6:32 PM  

  • Ahh, I see. Bummer.

    I understand what you mean. I've struggled with that too in the past. I've been keeping my mind pretty occupied with the all the minutiae of life post-op so there really hasn't been too many opportunities where I've really struggled with wanting to eat for all the wrong reasons. It's definitely a concern, although by design the DS puts a stop to overeating real quick, but it will never address my head issues. Right now, I am just forcing myself to talk it out, either to my family, friends, my blog whatever. I just hope it works.

    Do you have a DS/WLS support group you can attend nearby?

    By Blogger Tia L., At 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home