Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Friday, October 06, 2006

Forgiveness

If someone shot and killed my daughter could I ever forgive them? Could I reach out to their family and embrace them as they deal with the harsh reality of having or having had a murderer among their midst?

The answer is likely no. I can’t imagine a life without my little girl. Just by being her she brings me such joy. Her inquisitive nature, her impressive intelligence, her kindness, her wicked sense of humour and her boundless love for her mom. That would be me. Losing her in any way would leave an incredible hole in my life, losing her to violence would fill that hole with anger. I am not an angry person nor a hateful one but I could see this sort of event changing that. Quickly.

During the past week I have been following the story of the Amish community in Nickel Mines village. I have shed tears for the families who have lost daughters and sisters. I have shed tears for the little girls who never had the chance to experience all that life has to offer. I have shed tears of amazement at the way that the community has opened their collective heart with forgiveness.

So many times you see violence turn into hatred which in turn results in more violence. Look at Iraq and Ireland for examples, look at any war conducted in the name of religion – it’s about fear, violence and hatred. And then you have the Amish. A people often ridiculed for their aversion to all things modern. A people who we really don’t understand well. A people who, with their ability to forgive, instantly stopped a potential circle of hatred. I stand in awe of these people and the power of their beliefs. I admire the depth of conviction that has allowed them to mourn the loss of innocent children but not turn that to outward retaliation and hate. I believe we would live in a very different world if we could all take this sort of approach.


Forgiveness is espoused by many religions but this is truly an impressive example of a group of people putting their beliefs first and showing us what forgiveness is all about. Maybe we could all learn a little from the Amish.

2 Comments:

  • My heart aches for the entire Amish community. Such peaceful people, out of touch with the rest of the world, living their own lives, minding their own business. Why in the world would this evil, dispicable man chose this innocent community is beyond my comprehension.

    I hope he will face the wrath in the afterworld. Coward committed suicide. --shakes head in disgust--

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:34 PM  

  • Our world is so full of sickness it's frightening. I believe that forgiveness is often not to let someone off the hook for what they have done, but to free one's self from carrying around the resentment. It's a choice to move toward healing. God will judge.

    By Blogger Kate, At 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home