Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Blue

Today I'm feeling a little blue.

My hubby has always said that my birthday, anyone's birthday other than those of his children, is not significant to him. He believes that a birthday is a celebration between a child and it's parent. They celebrate because that date is truly meaningful for them.

I'd never given his philosophy a lot of thought until today. What about all those children who don't know who their parents are? What about those children/people who are estranged from their parents? What about those people whose parents passed away before them? Each of these people now have at least one less person with which to celebrate this birthday. Some would not, by hubby's definition, have anyone other than themselves who would feel that this day was truly significant. I find that sad. This year it means more for me because in all likelihood it is the last one that I can expect to receive a call from my Mum to wish me a happy birthday. Who will call next year?

Hubby is a good man. He believes that the special anniversaries in our lives are the things that are significant to him. But he truly doesn't know how lonely his thoughts have made me feel today.

2 Comments:

  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! I've always found birthdays a little lonely, I think, perhaps because my own family was never that good with them.

    (My heart goes out to you re: your mother. That first year after my mother's death from cancer I realized only at the end of the day on my birthday that I'd subconsciously been waiting for a call from her -- that never came.)

    xo.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 11:35 PM  

  • HUGS Ann. Birthdays are for EVERYONE to celebrate. Hubby is wrong.

    Try to enjoy your day...I'm thinking of you. xoxo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home