Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Parental Update

You know when I've reached my limit...I need to blog. To write it all out.

I spoke with Mum last night and got the latest on both her and dad's health.

Dad does have leukemia, a type known as CLL. It is not an aggressive form and at this stage does not require medication, just monitoring. Colds and flu's need to be watched for since his body will not be able to fight infection off as efficiently as an otherwise healthy person but overall it could be a lot worse. His life expectancy is 10 years which will bring him to the ripe old age of 75. Not bad. He is refusing to talk about it though. My guess is that he doesn't want to worry Mum. He knows that she will go first and does not want to add the burden of his health onto her already full plate. He probably is also very scared. In all reality he will die alone. That's a hard thing to face.

My mother had another scan and it looks like the cancer has not grown at all since last time. She is having problems with her digestive system which is being treated and her pancreas is not performing at full functionality (which is to be expected with pancreatic cancer). She is a bit of an anomaly in the cancer world in that she has been on chemotherapy for more than two years. In that time she has only needed one blood transfusion (last month) to help stabilize her blood counts. She is in no pain. This is very unusual. It is very unusual for anyone to tolerate treatment for such an extended period of time let alone do relatively well at it. I always knew that my mother was a stubborn sod but who would have been able to predict that it would stand her in such good stead.

I let her know last night that I was going to try and swing a trip to visit in Mar/April 2009. Financially it should be very doable, it will be more about having it gel for work and family. I would like to take Ms 8 with me if at all possible. She is doing well at school and can easily afford the time off. The boys not so much. I really want to do this. I need to do this. My last trip was a goodbye trip but it was too long ago. I want Ms 8 to see her grandparents one more time. I want my parents to see the new and somewhat improved me. I want to see them both. We'll see... I've already planted the seed at work, I'll keep at them.

1 Comments:

  • My Dad had ALL...his was aggressive. I am so glad to hear your Dad's is chronic instead. I wish, of course, that it was not leukemia, but CLL is the lesser of the evils.

    Your Mom is a trooper! God bless her strength!!! I am so glad to hear she is doing so well!

    I am off to England over the Easter weekend (very short trip) to say goodbye to my Nanny. She has ben diagnosed with lung cancer, just in time to make the two year cycle that Mom and I have endured for 8 years.

    Make the trip to Australia with Ms 8. You will be glad you did.

    Come and visit my blog once in a while my friend. www.mywhinecellar.com

    HUGS!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home