Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Support Group Meeting

Once a month I try to get out to a support group meeting that is based in Hamilton Ontario. This is a group that is not affiliated with any one type of surgery or surgeon. It is a group of people who have had, or are exploring their options for, weight loss surgery. The majority of folks have had the RNY, a few have had the lap band and a handful have had the Duodenal Switch. A few are still exploring their options.

I go to these meetings for a number of reasons:

1. I enjoy meeting people who truly know what it's like to 'live' obesity - it's always nice to know you are not alone
2. I am reminded in a very positive way of how far I've come. It's definitely a feel good moment when people cheer you on for the journey you've already undertaken
3. It's good to be able to share the challenges, and hear others challenges. It allows me to get feedback and to in fact contribute where I can. I am a trainer at heart so I love when I can help people. Whether it's to explain what the DS is all about, to empathizing with others challenges to making suggestions about what protein shake might taste better. I like the sharing aspect. I have tremendous respect for those that can freely share their emotional challenges associated with their weight loss journey. I can do that here. In written format. I am not so good at it in person.
4. It's a great resource for everything from clothing to finding out what plastic surgeons are in the area. I continue to learn even though my focus has changed from living with the DS to living as a slimmer person

The Hamilton group has a combined weight loss of over 2000lbs. That's nothing short of amazing.

If you are considering weight loss surgery I urge you to research your options for support groups such as this one post surgery. You can do this alone but the journey is so much easier when others are there to help you along the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home