Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Friday, August 10, 2007

Cowardice

There are few things that piss me off more than cowardice. Yesterday I got to experience some first hand cowardice that still has me seething.

Ms 8 and I were in the car when we were rear ended. The funny thing is I was already watching this guy. He was driving way too close and when stopped at lights was so close that I could not see the front of his car. I even mentioned to Ms 8 that he was an accident waiting to happen. Sure enough traffic in front of me slows (we were only doing about 35km/hour) and I hear brakes screech. I automatically turn to try and avoid the car in front (which I did because I HAD left enough space) and then I feel the impact.

It wasn't huge but enough to damage the rear bumper and more frighteningly to have Ms 8 bawling ow, my head, my head. I tell you there is nothing worse than to hear words like that from a child.

Anyway. I pull over into the construction lane so not as to block the one lane of traffic that was operational. The other driver pulls next to me and says sorry. There's no damage to the car (which there was but that's not the point). I was pissed. I told him off for his reckless driving and then demanded he pull over so I could get his details. He wouldn't . I demanded several times. He said he couldn't. He took off. I had an injured child in the car and the asshole took off. Between my concern for Ms 8 and utter shock at what he did, I didn't get the license plate number. I had nothing to give the police except for the colour (I'm sure they rolled their eyes at that one)

To make matters worse no one else stopped. What the heck? If I'd seen that... for example the lady behind the asshole, I would have stopped. I would have thought to take the number.

Ms 8 was taken away in an ambulance as a precautionary step because there was tenderness at the back of her head. 3 hours and xrays later she was free to go. No soccer for her for a week. She was devastated. Being strapped to a back board until they could see us in emergency was no picnic either.

So... if you're in a freakin' accident STOP. Have the human decency to do the right thing. The damage to the car was minimal. Even with no insurance it wouldn't have hurt you too bad. By leaving the scene of an accident you now turn your act into a criminal one. So asshole, you are now known as a cowardly criminal. Hope you are proud of yourself.

3 Comments:

  • Man, oh, man, I'm so sorry you had to go through that, that's terrible! I'm glad to hear both of y'all are okay.

    Shame on that !@#$ for leaving and not taking responsibility! He's due to get a visit from Lady Karma...

    By Blogger Tia L., At 12:18 AM  

  • Hey Ann, just wondering how your daughter is doing? Hope all is well!

    - Tia

    By Blogger Tia L., At 10:17 AM  

  • Thanks for asking Tia. She's good. Nothing too lasting. She was told no sports for a week so she'll be back on the soccer field on Thursday night. :)

    By Blogger Aussieabroad, At 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home