Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Let's talk poop

Just because no blog is complete without it right? Or maybe it's because it's part of my DS experience? Regardless it needs to be addressed. Firstly because I've had a number of newbie questions around bathroom issues fired my way, and secondly because this morning I the poop process let me down.

Let me explain.

Since having surgery I can usually plan out my day. Get up. Immediately poop. Return to washroom in the next 2 - 15 minutes. Poop. Repeat and rinse. Usually 3 - 4 times in total. Then I'm good to go. I can count on 1 or 2 more bathroom visits during the day.

This routine is significant in that if I have to be anywhere early I know I need to get up earlier to allow my body to do it's thing. If I don't need to be anywhere my body will still get me up because it needs to do it's thing. Well today I did need to have to be somewhere and wouldn't you know it...no poop. Nothing. Talk about stress! My fear, that I would be stuck in traffic and need to go. When I need to go, I need to go. NOW. Get the picture?

Sure enough. Get Ms 8 to camp, I need to go. Hello McDonalds. Sit in traffic, I need to go. Made it to the building where I was meeting my coach but had to go. Now. Lots. Yuk. Coach enters bathroom. Argh. You get the picture.

I don't mind using public bathrooms but the morning deloading thing is best kept in the privacy of your own home.

For those considering the DS - take what you read about bathroom issues with a grain of salt. The truth is that the bowel reaction is as diverse as the population undergoing this amazing surgery. Some people have real problems with constipation, some people have fairly regular routines and others have problems with diarrhea. There is no one possibility. The way you react to the DS will be totally personal.

I am regular, with some urgency. That is just me. It should be noted that I tended to be this way before surgery as well. Constipation has never been an issue. Even though I take iron supplements which can be very 'binding' I still lean the other way.

Is it manageable? For the most part yes. Like today. Even though my body let me down it still turned out ok.

Don't let your fear of 'potential' issues stop you from taking the next steps. Be aware of then and *if* it happens to you then you deal with it. No point getting your knickers in a knot over something that may not impact you at all.

End of poop discussion for a while.

1 Comments:

  • Ah, poop. My favorite DS subject! I'm a true believer that poop tells the story!

    On a side note, I was just wondering what iron supps you take? I have been taking Ferrous Sulfate which apparently the weakest and lamest variety. I have Ferrochel and ordered Tender Iron from vitalady. I've also seen carbonyl iron mentioned on some message boards.

    Just curious.

    By Blogger Tia L., At 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home