Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Thursday, March 08, 2007

Multiple Sclerosis and Me

It's hard to believe that it been nearly 5 years since I was diagnosed with MS.

In January of 2002 I had a fall and subsequently had trouble with my legs for the next 6 weeks. I didn't think anything of it - figured that I had pinched a nerve or something in the fall and that it would eventually get better. It did. Then in March I had a more scarier occurrence. A blinding headache for about a week and then loss of partial vision in one eye. The ophthalmologist diagnosed me with optic neuritis and arranged for me to have an MRI and some other tests. After the appointment I trundled home, googled optic neuritis and found that 80% of people diagnosed with this condition develop MS in the following 5 years. At that point I knew.

Neurologist appointments, tests and more tests and by July, through a process of elimination I was diagnosed with MS. It was a relatively painless process. MS was not a big scary thing because my sister in law had been diagnosed in late 1999. We already knew a lot about the disease.

Since then I tend to have about 2 episodes per year. One related to my legs. Basically the tops of my legs feel exceptionally heavy, almost like you want to pick them up to move them. The other tends to be a mild bout with optic neuritis. So far I have fully recovered from each exacerbation. I feel very lucky.

My involvement with MS these days is more about fund raising. Raising money to help those struggling with the disease now. Raising money to find a cure. Both are equally important. I am again involved with the MS Super Cities Walk. If you would like to support me in my efforts to find a cure to this unpredictable disease here is a link that will take you to my fund raising page.

The process is secure and simple. It is possible to donate from other countries. You donate in Canadian dollars - the conversion will appear on your credit card so you are charged in local dollars.

Hopefully one day we'll be seeing the headline "Cure for MS Found!".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home