Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mother Knows Best

Sometimes you just need to trust your gut.

This morning I was running around getting ready for work and my 7 year old was not cooperating at all. She was scared to be downstairs by herself and she was very weepy. Not like her at all.

Hubby was going to drop me off at work since he needed the car (yes, we are one of *those* oddities - the one car family) but something told me to work at home instead.

The morning pace slowed down considerably, we got in some cuddle time and then I sent this kids off to school. At 8.30 I get a call from Ms 7... she had locked herself into a washroom stall at school too mortified to come out...she hadn't made it the bathroom in time.

I was so upset for her - imagine the feeling of powerlessness as she sat in that bathroom waiting for me to get there with a change of clothes. She missed the bell. She's never late. It irks her to even think of being late. The poor kid was so upset.

We got her cleaned up and then I dragged myself home, at a much slower pace than I had managed to get there I might add, all the while thinking...what if. What if I hadn't been home? What if I hadn't given her the replacement cell phone after irresponsible Mr 13 had lost the first one? What if?

I am so grateful to have the kind of job that allows me the flexibility to work from home on occasion. My team is wonderfully supportive and my boss, well she's working from home today too.

It's hard growing up. The school hallways can be unforgiving places. Just ask any of us that were even a little overweight as children. I am so glad I could be there today.

1 Comments:

  • Aw, man, that poor little girl! I'm so glad for you both that you were there today.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home