Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Life is Short

Let me start by saying that I don't know Karen and I don't know the other people in this story. Yesterday Karen passed away on the streets of Curitiba Brazil. The story of her passing has filled me with a sadness that I cannot explain.

Karen, Amanda and Jaime all had their duodenal switches done in Brazil this week. They met at the hotel and bonded as you would expect - they are all part of a unique sisterhood often referred to as the "Switch Sistah's". They were each others' support. During a trip out to buy her brother cigars Karen collapsed in the street and passed away - likely cause pulmonary embolism. Her new friends, their parents and her mother watched her die. She left behind a husband and two young children in California. Today they are without a wife and mother. Her friends... Amanda, who I am familiar with through the ObesityHelp community, have been through an incredibly shocking experience. They are new Dser's on the start of what should be an incredible journey and instead they will live with this trauma forever.

My heart goes out to them all. Her children who will never know the love of their mother again. Her husband who has lost his partner. Her mom... oh my gosh can you imagine watching your child die so unexpectedly. Her friends who have lost the opportunity to claim joy at having successfully been switched.

Surgery is risky. It is not known whether the DS caused this death (there were unrelated complications). Death is possible. For each of us that have had or are planning to have weight loss surgery, we are willing to risk death to have a chance to really live.

Rest in peace Karen

2 Comments:

  • Yes, it's so very sad. I thought a lot about her yesterday even though I had previously never knew her. It's really a very sobering reality and I hope it compels those who are going down the weight loss surgery road to think long and hard about all the potentialities - good and bad.

    By Blogger Tia L., At 10:43 PM  

  • rest in peace, karen.

    Hers is a truly awful story and I feel awful for her family. As a pre-op Sistah, this really made me think about what I'm about to do. I have a 3yo and 5yo at home.

    Lisa

    By Blogger TechGirl, At 7:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home