Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Friday, June 08, 2007

Caught up in the moment

Last night we made a last minute decision to go and watch game 5 in the Calder Cup final between the Hamilton Bulldogs and the Hershey Bears. Hamilton was leading the series 3 - 1. This might be the night the cup was awarded to Hamilton for the first time in the franchise history.

Over the years I've learned to enjoy this game that is so uniquely Canadian. In Australia you mention the word hockey and ice hockey wouldn't even cross our minds. Hockey = field not ice. I don't mind watching it on tv, although invariably I fall asleep, but there is something unique about being in an arena with thousands of charged up fans. The atmosphere is worth the price of admission alone.

Last night was a certainly all about atmosphere. During the third period, as it seemed that the Bulldogs were going to win, the crowd took on a life of it's own. The cheering, the singing, the Mexican wave that made it around the arena at least 6 times before we remembered to focus on the game all contributed to a memorable evening.

What made the night though was the drive home. Imagine 14,000 people all streaming into the streets cheering at the success of their team. Imagine thousands of cars all trying to leave the downtown core through a few main arterial roads. Imagine... me honking my horn to GO DOGS GO, taking turns with the guy in front of me. That's where it got funny. Ms 7 was beside herself. She was laughing the uninhibited, belly wrenching, laugh of someone so caught up in the moment that nothing else mattered. The sound was pure magic and of course inspired me to get even sillier. By the end of the drive down the main drag to the highway I had become quite musical with my horn, accompanied by a very accomplished flotilla of reveling fans. It was a lot of fun. I haven't laughed that much for a long time. Even Mr 16 had a good time. For a moment, thanks to the Bulldogs, we enjoyed a moment just living in the moment. It was a good moment.

And now to the weight loss moment, cause it's all about me and my weight don't you know! Last night our seats were in the nose bleed section. One row from the top. I climbed those stairs without losing my breath. I climbed them three times and lived to tell the story. I climbed the stairs, sat down in my seat ( not squeezed into my seat) and savoured the moment. What a difference 6 months makes. I remember posting about my theatre going experience in September or October. It was a devastating moment for me. But it was a moment that made last night all the more significant because I fully appreciate all that I have gained. I have gained normalcy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home