Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Monday, May 14, 2007

What does 100lbs really mean?

On the train ride into Toronto today I had lots of time to contemplate reaching the 100 lb milestone and it struck me that 100lbs is mainly significant because it's a nice big round number but it's significant too because of the impact it's had on my everyday life.

Take this weekend for example. On Saturday morning I dressed into my size 18 clothes (size has obviously changed) and headed off to Canada's Wonderland with the family. Not only have I shrunk but Wonderland seems to have as well. I wasn't tired, I didn't noticed the hills, I didn't spend a good chunk of my time thinking about going home... I just enjoyed it. Saturday afternoon was spent driving all over the city and surrounds looking for size 7 football cleats for Mr. 13. This was followed by a dinner out and then staying up until 12.30 to pick the boys up from seeing a movie. I was on the go all day. And lived to tell the story. Without major fatigue the next day. Wow.

The list of how my life has changed is long. Some of the things I'll note here will be insignificant/ alien to those that have never suffered a weight problem but they've had a real impact on me

1. I don't need my CPAP machine. Cured since the day of surgery
2. I can fit into booths no problems
3. I don't need to use the handicap bathrooms
4. I can sit on a plastic lawn chair without fear of breaking it. I have done so on many occasions
5. I can wipe like you're meant to... from front to back (please don't ask me to explain if you don't get this one)
6. I can stand in the shower and get wet all over without having my body take "shifts" under the water stream
7. I can fit into roller coasters for the first time in 10 years
8. I feel more confident
9. I have way more energy
10. I am a better advocate for myself... it's amazing what not being able to eat your frustration away will do to your voice...all of a sudden you have one
11. The seatbelt in the car is big... it doesn't cut into my neck anymore
12. I can walk up stairs without getting winded and without my knees hurting.
13. I can more easily snuggle with my husband... I love this
14. I can sit on the train and not be concerned about holding myself in so I don't spill over onto the person next to me
15. I have learned the art of "boob oragami". I can fold these girls into a bra and have them look mighty good
16. I can garden without stopping every hour. Unless that hour involves a fall and hospital trip.
17. I can do housework without issues. Now I just choose not to ;)
18. I have clothing options. Fashionable clothing. I am wearing GAP! This is significant to me cause it represents normalcy
19. I can 'squeeze' by people with minimal fear of hitting them.
20. I like me better. I am happier.

There are many more things - these just popped into my mind.

All up I am very glad I did this. I am thrilled about the 100lbs. To celebrate I decided I was going to give myself $100 to spend on me. I wanted a leather backpack style purse. I found one I loved. The cost... $14.99. So not only have I lost 100lbs, I just saved myself $85. Life is good.

4 Comments:

  • Ann, I loved reading this. You have given yourself such an amazing gift!

    By Blogger Rox, At 12:47 PM  

  • Thanks Rox! Speaking of gifts... Happy Birthday! Your birthday is always so easy to remember...the first payday after my own birthday :)

    By Blogger Aussieabroad, At 1:16 PM  

  • I love 5, 15, and 17 especially. :)

    What a great list - congrats to you. And good job for taking time to savor the moment and what a big deal it really is.

    By Blogger Leah, At 2:56 PM  

  • Thanks Leah. How are you doing? You're in week 2 now right?

    By Blogger Aussieabroad, At 3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home