Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Monday, May 07, 2007

Ok...that hurt

Let's set some context up front. I have been fat for a long time. I had mastered the art of a light step. I was graceful even with my most rotund girth.

It would seem that along with having lost weight I seem to have lost the art of grace. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the weight loss, my MS playing up or whether I am having a particularly klutzy week but whatever the reason I am a hurting unit today.

On Saturday as I was walking from the side yard to the front to check on my daughter who was happily planning pansies in her little garden, my toe caught on a ridge. I proceeded to fall, in spectacular style according to my husband. It involved a roll into the garden bed but that was only after hitting the walkway with my left arm/elbow taking the brunt of the fall. Apparently my feet, which were pointing west, ended up pointing east so there was a roll involved. I don't recall the dynamics. All I know is that I am in considerable pain.

Two hours in emergency told me that my arm was not broken (yay!) but I think did some muscular damage. Certain movements are very painful, hubby is having to do up my bra for me because I simply cannot and the bruising that is starting to come out is pretty impressive.

The good news is that I had finished what I set out to do in the front yard so it's look very pretty and springlike. The bad news is that the back yard will have to continue looking like a dump for a while.

You have to shake your head and laugh - from a slapstick humour perspective it must have been pretty funny. My concern is that this is not the first fall this week. About a week ago I fell as I stepped up onto the deck (no damage except for pride) and then I nearly took a tumble coming down the stairs from the second floor. This is so not like me. Maybe something to mention to my PCP.

So there's the story. It's the reason I didn't get a chance to do my second check up on my friend Pam who got her long awaited RNY on Friday, it is the reason that my daughter and hubby couldn't follow through with their plans for my birthday (Sunday) and it's the reason that I am being very lazy today...well maybe not the only reason for the laziness but I'm going with that for now.

1 Comments:

  • Could be your MS ... but my vote is for a shifting center of gravity with major weight loss. The laws of personal physics have changed.

    I can't balance at all in my yoga class. I mean, AT ALL.

    I'm chalking it up to the same thing.

    (And OW, your fall sounds painful!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home