Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Monday, May 28, 2007

Cancer

Cancer - it's such a nasty, fear inducing, omnipotent word. One word. Many types of illnesses. It seems that cancer is the disease of our millennium. There are few of us that haven't been impacted by it. Personally. Mother, fathers, friends, co-workers. We all know someone who has had, who has beaten or who has lost their life to some form of cancer.

My Mum... two years into her battle with pancreatic cancer
My Dad... two years since his first battle with colon cancer. One year since they completely removed his rectum and part of his colon in a bid to extend his life.
Lynn Wease... a manager I very much admired at Citi who passed away after a brief but fierce battle with her illness
Vivien... her mother passed away last week
Hubby's grandmother... ongoing issues with skin cancer

It was Vivien's mothers passing that inspired me to do something.

A few weeks ago a very dear friend gave me a key chain... it was a thingamaboob It is beautiful and functional. She gave it to me to remind me, that as a woman, I have to stay vigilant about my breast health.

So today I purchased 20 thingamaboobs from the Canadian Cancer Society in Vivien's moms memory. Hubby will give some away at work. I will send the remainder, with a card, to some of the wonderful women in my life. I wish I could do more... as I started my list I realized there are so many people in my life that I would like to share this with.

If cancer has touched your life consider doing something similar. The more women that can be reached with a visual reminder of their breast health the greater the chance that you could save someones life. The funds raised goes towards cancer research. It's a win win all around.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home