Life's a journey - Let's Switch it Up!

Sunday, September 10, 2006

One year on

Sept 10, 2005. I can't help but look back at where I was a year ago.

This time last year I was sitting in my mother's hospital room in Adelaide, South Australia. She had just gone through bypass surgery to buy her some time against her pancreatic cancer.

When I had spoken to the surgeon two weeks earlier to try and assess how much time Mum had, and therefore how much time I had to try and figure out how on earth I was going to be able to swing a trip to Australia, he told me " your Mum is leaving the hospital next week, I would come the week after. The cancer has grown significantly" I knew then that I had to say goodbye. Pancreatic cancer is a nasty death sentance. For most it is too late when it is diagnosed.

My father very kindly offered to pay for flight tickets for my daughter and I, so on Sept 8 we set off on our 24 hour journey, arriving on the morning of the 10th. It was so surreal. My Mum was only 58, she wasn't meant to be facing death yet.

The two weeks we were there gave me a great chance to reconnect with my family. My father, with whom I had lost any sembalance of a normal relationship, my mother who really kept our family together and my sisters, both of whom were scared. Best of all it gave my Dad a chance to build a relationship with his granddaughter. They are so much alike, they have the same wicked sense of humour. I loved watching what happened, I love that they are still connected.

Saying goodbye as we stood in the airport was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I saw my father cry, I had to say goodbye to a mother who has supported me throughout my life knowing I would never see her again, I had to stay strong because my daughter was with me.

Today my mother is still alive and doing well. We don't know why but I am ever so grateful that she is. I miss her dearly but I can still hear her voice. I dread the day that won't be a possibility but until then I am saying my thank you's.

I love you Mum - I wish I could tell you more often.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home